Thursday, September 13, 2012

Paradise Found

Notice the throngs of tourists. Oh, you don't see them? THAT'S WHY I LOVE IT!

One might think that a person living in a tropical location has his choice of exotic, peaceful getaways, and may imagine iconic scenes of hammocks under palm trees, coconut drinks and a Crusoe-like existence. To be sure, these places do exist, but only because they are not known by half of Europe's tourists. Beautiful beach resorts, highland bungalows and misty mountain hideaways abound in Thailand, but I find it difficult to enjoy most of them, as I require solitude and a peaceful environment. Thailand's well known resorts are not serene because of their popularity. But recently, I returned to an island that does offer the peaceful atmosphere that I need. My paradise is an easy bus ride from Bangkok, and since it has (so far) no high rise hotels, booming beach bars or massive resorts, it is often not on the tourist radar, and thus not many people crowd its lovely beaches. It is covered with verdant rain forests, sliced by streams with tumbling waterfalls, and has excellent diving and snorkeling. Here it is, without the name. But come visit and I'll take you there.

This is about as exciting as it gets here.

If you get bored doing nothing, you can watch the fishing boats going by.

The beach vendors had so few customers that they passed the time by collecting shells. No, that isn't a life guard: no lives to guard! He just wanted a shady spot to rest.

Jewelry offered by beach vendors, including illegal tiger tooth necklaces. I was this vendor's only customer that day.

OK, time to watch the fishing boats again, this time with their nets deployed.

One can fully appreciate the beautiful sunsets, as this is a place you can forget your watch and not check email.

Not an OSHA approved work site.

Gathering storm. The monsoon rains add to the ambiance, as you can sit on the porch and watch the rain, or get cozy inside your bungalow.
This is my paradise. I hope you find yours where ever you are. You don't need a beach or a palm tree, just a slice of nature and solitude, whether in a town park, a nearby stream, a stretch of lonely beach, or your back porch. 


3 comments:

Gerry Skoyles said...

Fantastic pics! LOS is also my paradise - although I'm retired in Isaan which isn't everyone's paradise.
But it's a great place to pursue my hobby of writing novels and screenplays.

Hotspring Addict said...

Great Photographs. Your camera is getting better.

Ed Haynsworth said...

Fantastic shots here! Wish I could be there now!

Ed