Friday, June 13, 2014

Growing up poor in a Thai village (part 2)

In my last post of a narrative from a young Thai woman who grew up poor in rural Thailand (see post below, April 26), I wrote about the conditions as her widowed mother struggled to care for her three children. Since then, more details have emerged in casual conversation. At first, I could hardly believe what I was hearing, as I have never witnessed, nor ever known anyone in this type of situation. But as she told her story, I realized that it is not so unusual, as her co-workers laughed and nodded as she recounted what I think is very remarkable, but apparently very common...

"I kamoey (steal) mangoes when I am young. I go to neighbor's houses at 4:00 in the morning and take so many I cannot carry more, then sit and eat until I am full."

Me: How old were you?

"About seven year. I kamoey eggs, too. I go at night, no one see me, and take eggs from chicken house."

Me: Why did you do that?

"We do not have any food! Hungry a lot. I take pak (vegetables) from gardens too. We very hungry all the time."

Me: And the neighbors did not know?

"No, they never see me. Maybe they know, but they not scold me."

Me: What did your mother say?

"She never know. She work in Bangkok after father die."

Me: Who took care of you?

"Nobody."

Me: What? You lived alone without an adult?

"My sister take care of me and younger brother while mother in Bangkok. We take care ourselves."

Me: How old was your sister?

"Ten year old."

Me: How far was your village from Bangkok?

"Far. Take 6 hour by bus."

Me: Did your mother come back every weekend?

"Sometimes, but not most weekends. It too far and she need to work."

Me: Did you have money?

"No, she gave us some, but we spend fast. When I go to school, I kamoey from other student lunch."

Me: They didn't see you?

"When time to go outside, I say I have to go to toilet, then come back to room and smell each bag. Then I take a little from each, so no one know."

I still marvel at this tale of growing up poor in Thailand. Unfortunately, this still occurs, especially in rural areas. Now, whenever I see poor children with their mothers in Bangkok, particularly those begging on the street, I feel such sympathy for them, and do not question their motives. I now know that they are struggling, and often cannot find work, even in the city. I am also amazed by the happy attitudes of those who had so little as a child. Perhaps they are grateful for steady jobs and full bellies, regardless of the unreasonable hours they are expected to work. Thailand has many similarities to the U.S. in the 1920s: no organized worker unions to fight for dignified compensation and safe working conditions, little or no government support, lots of despair, alcoholism and domestic violence (it is not unlawful to hit one's spouse or child). Retirement pensions average 500 baht ($15 US) per month, hardly enough to buy food for one's self.

No comments: