Monday, May 3, 2010

New Candidate for Most Spoiled Child

A few months ago, I described here what was then the most spoiled child I had ever known. As of today, I must revise that and hand the award to another young person. Earlier this evening, Kat pointed out a scene that stopped me dead in my tracks. A young girl, approximately four years old, was on a bicycle with training wheels. Preceding her was a nanny who pulled the bicycle with a rope. Next to the child walked another nanny, holding a small tray on which sat a cup of yogurt. Every few steps the first nanny stopped pulling, which allowed nanny #2 to scoop some yogurt into the child's gaping baby bird-like maw. I didn't want to stare, but couldn't help it. Nothing in my 60+ years of existence on this planet, and nearly 40 years of teaching could help me think through any possible reasoning a parent might have that would set this practice into motion. Can you?

No comments: